Hello Arvind

Welcome to the Oral Cancer Foundation Forum. You have found a great place for help, support, information and compassion.

I am fairly new here and in the preliminary stage of treatment. I have read much information on this site and others. There are many people who will respond to your question.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR. From the information given, it appears they caught the SCC in a very early stage as you said the surgery was small and healed quickly. All other tests were negative. In surgery they remove as much tissue as required until they ascertain clear margins.( no presence of cancer )

To GUESS a stage I would say T1N0M0. You did not say if your Mom was getting radiation or not. If THE DOCTORS are certain all cancer has been removed through surgery, they may not enlist radiation treatments.

As for "how good" the radiation therapy is, I do not know. There are many forms. It is effective, but there is callateral damge to "good cells".

As for your last question. The key to any good cancer prognosis is early detection. Chances are much better when caught in an early stage, as was your Mothers.

LIKE I SAID, I AM NOT A DOCTOR. But it appears your mothers SCC was caught at a very early stage and had not even affected the lymph nodes yet. I think you can relax a little. But make sure to watch for any changes and be puctual about all follow up visits.

If I may ask, what hospital did you attend in New Delhi?

Feel free to "surf" this forum. There are two search engines here. One at the top, and one at the bottom of each page. They are dedicated to oral cancer.

Good Luck! Petey smile

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07