One problem with Ethyol (amifostine) - -which a medical doctor who was getting chemoradiation at the same time as Barry discovered -- is that it seems to hit some folks getting cisplatin (which she was, for a recurrent oral tongue cancer) very hard. I saw her at a meeting a few months later and she said in retrospect she would have scheduled the ethyol so that she did not take it at all the weeks she had the cisplatin (3 treatments). She thought that would have allowed her to tolerate it. Instead she took ethyol the day after her first chemo and was really sick for a couple of days, and gave it up.

Barry had carboplatin (because of the risk of hearing loss) and as a less toxic drug it may have contributed to his tolkerance for the ethyol.

I should also say that Ethyol should be given by injection (2 injections at a time). It used to be given by IV infusion and caused lots of severe blood pressure drops and more serious side effects.

It is a difficult drug, I think folks should try it (with all due caution) but don't be disheartened if you can't handle it. Our radiation oncologist (who is an amifostine expert) says it adds about 15% improvement to salivary function, but that IMRT (vs. conventional beam radiation) is actually more important in parotid preservation.

Lisa -- ask your oncologist about your dad taking guafenesin to thin his phelgm -- either as a (diluted) liquid or as a pill (Mucinex). The latter really helped my husband get rid of thick secretions but it is a large timed-release tablet and cannot be cut or ground up. If your dad can't swallow it, then try guafenesin syrup (dilute it in water, otherwise the syrup burns a senstive mouth and throat).

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!