Boland,

Glad you enjoyed that read. I still enjoy reading it and probably have read it a dozen times now.

Yes, my life has been full speed for probably about 12-18 months. Full speed to me means doing all the same stuff I enjoyed before my positive biopsy. So, running, surfing, working full time, etc. Food (nothing spicier than about a 2 or 3 on a 0-10 scale) and dental (saliva production is better but still quite low) is about the only current challenge. Both keep improving and it's not holding me back from enjoying food, eating out, etc. Alcohol is the only thing nearly 100% gone from my life which is OK with me. I was only a social drinker anyway. I do miss the occasional glass of wine with my wife on special occasions. Of all weird things, Guinness beer tastes fairly normal. So, I save that for special occasions.

My tongue definitely feels different. Not painful, but it tingles depending on how I am articulating the scar tissue. And, I have a slight lisp in my speech now. But, everyone can understand me. It is much harder to converse during a meal. I never realized how much we speak while food is still in our mouths even though we are all taught not to do that. I have to truly clear nearly 100% of food out of my mouth to speak clearly. And, on difficult words, I take a pause before saying it. But, I have yet to meet the word I can not work out and communicate clearly enough for a stranger to understand. I was surprised how much of my social life and conversations outside of work included food. My neck is tight on the side they removed my nodes but it works well enough to see blind spots driving, surf, bike, etc.

I would push all your thoughts and concerns into their portal. It helps document it all and then you have responses in writing. And, then you can share that with any other doctors for second opinions and further evaluation/treatment.

Stay safe and keep the faith,
Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20