Hi Mark,
Thanks so much for replying. It's nice to get the perspective of another parent who has dealt with this issue. It's also reassuring to read that you have survived and are here to tell the tale 21 years later. You're absolutely right that I don't have full confidence in my doctors. The issue is that I'm in Dublin, Ireland, which, I need not tell you, is a small island, so treatment options are somewhat limited. I asked about going privately as my insurance would cover it but was told that in Ireland oral cancer is best dealt with in the public system which involves attending the Dublin Dental Hospital who work in conjunction with another hospital (St. James's). The maxillofacial surgeon who removed the lesion in the dental hospital said that if I needed anymore surgery I would have to attend St. James's, another public hospital. The doctor who gave me my results for the surgery last week didn't do a great job of explaining the situation to me. The maxillofacial surgeon who actually performed the procedure seemed far more experienced and competent. I've emailed the dental hospital asking them if I could speak to the surgeon instead about the results so I'm hoping he'll get back to me. In the mean time, I will do my best to rock on and not succumb to the black dog.