Peggy

Your preparations will definitely help! Good to hear dental work is getting done. I ended up with a lot of dental work my first year or so after radiation (crowns, root canals, etc) and it continues today. I believe if I had some of that fixed before radiaiton, it would have made it easier. I have not heard of Healios but if it works, use it.

Good job on temp back to work. I think following my previous life and habits as close as I could, albeit usually somewhat reduced levels, really helped my mindset and recovery. I worked part time through my treatment. I did a few hours every day. I went 2-3x per week to the shop. My employer was extremely supportive and flexible and I am blessed to have a job that can support this approach. I exercised daily in varying levels from surf, to jogging, to yoga, etc. The 2 weeks following my last treatment were the toughest. I am sure you have been advised of that.

I was able to return to full time work about a month after my last treatment. And, I would say maybe a month or so after that I felt physically strong again (90%+). Food was the slowest to recover for me. I can now eat most anything except spicy. But, I can now consume the blander Mexican and Indian foods. That took about a year. Alcohol still tastes terrible but I don't really miss it. It's almost always water for me now.

Except for Covid, I would have been comfortable with travel all except the last few weeks of radiation and the two-four weeks following it.

The best thing you can do right now is eat. Gain weight before Feb 8 and during those first few weeks of treatment. Most people feel fine for the first 2-3 weeks of treatment. Keep pounding the calories. I gained about 7-8 pounds between surgery and radiation treatment. I was trying and felt bloated most of the time but it helped for sure.

Some foods I recall that I was able to eat all the way through - eggs, avocados, green beans, bananas (except last few weeks), french toast, pancakes, protein shakes, ensure (vanilla and chocolate), pudding, jello, simple soups, pot pies. Get yourself a Vitamix or similar machine. I used to dump avocados into many of the smoothies and shakes I made.

Keep us up to date. We are all pulling for you. Stay safe and keep the faith.

Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20