Hi Mickey!

Although I had a different type cancer, oropharynx, I had radiation, chemo and surgery multiple times that effected all my teeth requiring their removal. I had asked about the time frame for dentures, and was told it was long off. I had a cancer recurrence, requiring treatment again, so the wait started over. Once I felt recovered enough I was told you would have to wait at least a year. Before that time was up I needed jaw replacement for osteoradionecrosis from radiation and teeth extractions, so I was told my jaw would have to heal, probably about a year. Before that time I had a major heart attack, and waited again. After a series of other incidents, hospitalizations and nursing home stays I never inquired about dentures again. My head and neck surgeon doesn’t believe implants would be an option for me with all the radiation (5x) I had, plus others. He did want to send me to their prontologist, I could be wrong with the name, but I never went to see him or her. Right now, after everything is opening, I would see about dentures one day, but I’m staying put as I really can’t walk after breaking my hip in the nursing home.

See your doctors, and see what they say. Good luck!

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo