I just remembered another resource that may be helpful. The American Cancer Society (ACS) is all across the US and may provide cancer patients with their choice of a small grant. I was helped thru ACS quite a while ago (12 years ago) so this program could have changed. Theres a form to fill out and something to give to the oncologist to fill out before the one time $300 grant is given. amount of $300 grant could have changed. The options back when I was given the grant were as follows... either a wig, reimbursement for travel expenses to doctor or treatment appointments, personal prosthetic (for mastectomy patients), or a pharmacy credit to help cover prescriptions or co-pays. They're available 24/7 so its ok to call them any time of any day to make inquiries. They could have other assistance programs that Im not aware of at this time.

The ACS also has a volunteer patient transportation program where survivors drive cancer patients to their doctors or treatment appointments. I was very surprised when volunteer drivers who were cancer survivors drove me back and forth to my treatments a few times. I never expected anyone would drive the 45 minutes up to my house in the woods back down to treatment center, then take me home and drive back home themselves. Its worth a try even if it seems to be a great distance so you never know. I only did it a couple times but it was really nice to have a former cancer patient to talk to and give my 17 year old son a break from the long commute. When I got better, I was a volunteer driver for 10+ years which has always been a great experience helping people one on one.

Best wishes with everything Connie!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy