My husband has just finished six weeks of radiation and chemo. After his surgery one year ago we were told his margins were clear and no further treatment was needed. When he went back for his first set of scans, they found a recurrence so further treatment was no longer optional. He had a second surgery the week before thanksgiving and six weeks after that, started his treatments. It is tough, but with results “on the line” I think you should strongly consider it. They gave us a 95% chance of no recurrence but we were in the unlucky 5%. You are being well-advised to go to a Comprehensive Cancer Center, but it is also important to go to one with a strong program for Head and Neck patients. We originally wanted to do the follow up treatment at a CCC near our home but were told that they didn’t do enough Head and Neck. Out of the programs that were recommended, we decided to go back to the CCC where the original surgery was done. The social workers offered to help us find housing, but luckily a relative could host us. It really makes a big difference being treated by people who deal with Head and Neck all day every day. If you go through this, you want the best possible result. They have been incredibly supportive in helping my husband deal with the side effects. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Husband DX’d 1/17/19 with SCC on lower left gum
Mandibulectomy 2/28/19
Recurrence 11/19