My husband finished radiation and chemo, got an NED and then eight months later, told that the cancer had metastasized to o e of lungs. At that point, the RO said there was nothing he could do. My husband was accepted into one of the earliest immunotherapy trials (stage 1, meaning the test drug had only been used on monkeys prior). He was on immunotherapy for six months, it did not help him. His MO found another Stage 2 trial for him and he was on it for a while but they had to stop because it was very harsh in him. He was then on “maintenance chemo” for a couple of months, until he passed away from aspiration pneumonia.

It’s the patient’s choice really. If one doesn’t want to give Ip, there are trials to get into. But there are no guarantees. There are people who don’t want to drag it on and they choose having nothing done. The beet really is to talk frankly with your mom to find out what her wishes are and to consult your medical team to see if anything else is available.

I hope this helps.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.