It's hard to remember for sure (memory really does flake out on you) but I had the tube installed in January and it was removed in June of my treatment year, so it was perhaps shorter than some. I did work up through the liquids and soft foods, and it did take time. I didn't fully lose my swallow function, but I couldn't actually eat anything (I was still able to sip some water though, and that helped) ... it takes longer if you have to build that back up. I do still have issues with reflux and random bits of choking; I think most of us here do. (There are plenty of people who get past that, but they aren't the ones who stay and hang out on forums like this ... don't let our stats scare you, because this is a biased group!) I lost less during surgery than some folks though (and while I am typing, it isn't letting me see your first post, so I can't go back and see how I compare to what your husband went through ... the more invasive, the longer it will take to heal, of course ... more to build back up, more to get used to).

It is worth the effort to keep trying, though. It does help. There are no guarantees on how MUCH it will help, but it does help. My therapist helped some with speech, some with swallowing, and some with breaking up the scar tissue to ease my neck ... that last was worth it right there, and I wish I could still go to her ... I can do some of what she did at home, but not as good as she did! Anyway, it is good to keep on keeping on. Healing is a pain in the butt, but worth it.

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June