First of all, I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond. I truly appreciate your feedback and read each one thoroughly. I'm going to try to respond to everyone here.

ChristineB - thank you for your detailed and thought out message. I do my best when researching to only look for medical journals that are current. It has proved VERY challenging to locate anything substantial I'll be honest, but I have found a few good ones. Most of what I relayed in my original message were verbatim from my oncologist and radiation oncologist. I often only take forums with a grain of salt; that being said this is by far one of the best forums that I have come across (hence why I felt comfortable enough to post). It was never my intention to try to pass off incorrect information or violate any rules - I felt as if what my oncologist and radiation oncologist were saying to be true, thus me discussing within my original post. I appreciate you going into detail on past experiences from other members and where I can locate more information. I'll be sure to do that now.

tlc356 - I'm currently being treated at UT Southwestern. My oncologist is the Chief of the Division of Head and Neck Oncology in UT Southwestern Medical Center's Department of Otolaryngology and Director of the Head and Neck Oncology Disease Oriented Team at Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center. I saw an oncologist prior to him and didn't feel nearly as comfortable. I am so fortunate that my doctor took me on as a patient. My radiation oncologist is a newer doctor having just finished up his residency, however I don't mind that. He has excellent references and education and a host of tenured doctors at his disposal to discuss my plan for radiation. He's also very willing to help and is eager to see me through treatment; his bedside manner is great. I am a very, very lucky person to have such a good team behind me.

Crystal J - Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Your post actually helped make my determination in pursing radiation. The PNI is what scares me the most... even though I was given "clear margins", one small lingering cell along a nerve spikes a crazy anxiety in me. I would rather treat now and give myself the best chances.

Anita J. - Thank you as well for sharing your experience. I am 29, about to be 30 next month. I absolutely felt your message regarding your kids. That's what pains me the most out of all of this - my kids. I'm hoping that I may be able to enjoy that added side effect of weight loss since I have plenty myself to lose, however my radiation oncologist may have something to say about that. He wants me to keep my weight where its at... I told him to give me a break and let me have a win! (All in jest, of course.) I too have an excellent support system here, and agree that I want zero regrets. I really appreciate your words of encouragement and please know that I really felt it. Thank you.

GulfCoast - You give me hope in what I can only hope to experience down the road. I already had my thyroid ablated when I was 18 due to crazy hyperthyroidism (totally different story), so at least I'm not losing anything there. I have a huge fear of recurrence and having to go through surgery again. Thank you for your time in responding.

PaulB - Thank you for your message! I have chosen to pursue radiation. At this time, I don't know that I am pursuing proton therapy however I have sent a message to my radiation oncologist for his opinion on the matter. I am scheduled to start radiation on September 16, so just a few more days away.

VirgoMomof3Boys - I agree, it totally sucks, and I am really feeling it in my bones and in my heart right now (figuratively speaking). My hurt hurts for you seeing that you were diagnosed with another cancer; I am hoping that it has no correlation and (while still sucky) is more of a hereditary type situation. I agree that I feel like this is the right decision for this time as both my doctors, while saying it was my choice, went ahead and suggested it. Thank you for sharing your experience and I will keep you in my thoughts and send good vibes your way to get through this.

Thank you again everyone for your input - I really appreciate it and it has helped to guide me in a direction to pursue. I am scared beyond belief but I believe that it is the best decision for now. I am going to do more research and read more on the forums with other's past experiences. Thank you again!