Hey gameoverman.

I was diagnosed with tongue cancer about the same time as you were. My preliminary diagnosis was August 2nd and the biopsy results confirming the diagnosis came in last week.

I’m all new to this, it’s the first time that I have been involved with oncologists in any capacity - patient, caregiver, family member - there just hasn’t been any cancer in my family and oral cancer seems like a bad place to start. It’s daunting. All the healthcare professionals promise a bit of a gruelling treatment schedule. They expect that it will get worse before it gets better.

The key point being that it gets better. They are all reassuring about how modern chemo and radiation therapies can cure this awful disease. Some of the others on this forum can give you a much more in depth personal perspective on how they coped with and recovered from oc. I can’t, I simply haven’t walked in their shoes yet.

You seem to be in a dark place. Maybe you need to talk to a therapist, or a pastor or a personal friend to get some guidance in this difficult time? I’m happy to exchange notes on how this progresses, since it seems like we will be in parallel treatments. My first radiation treatment is Sep 12, got fit for the mask today.

Good luck

Preliminary diagnosis of SqCC at base of tongue August 2, 2019.
Biopsy surgery on August 15
Confirmed sqcc from biopsy Aug 20 - hpv type 16
33 radiation treatments ended October 25, 2019.
3 (large dose) cisplatin treatments.