If you just want personal anecdotal information, I can tell you this ... I never once tested positive for HPV before the cancer. I also never had any of the at-risk behaviors. This leads me to believe, personally, that there are transmission vectors as yet unexplained (during birth? who knows?). Never vaccinated, but at my age, it seemed pointless... I'm now in my 40s. One partner, and I'm his only partner too. Go figure.

I don't even disclose my HPV status when discussing this cancer to anyone outside this forum (except the few doctors who need to know) because it leads to all sorts of assumptions that aren't helpful in the slightest. It's a cancer, and it needed treating. If I did have behaviors, they were over and done anyway ... though I didn't. (I'm not even a drinker or smoker. Totally boring in most medical regards.)

And to my knowledge, it's never showed up on a Pap smear test afterwards, either, come to think of it.

Make of that what you will. Certainly my cancer docs didn't know what to do with it. smile

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June