Hello Paul!

My case is similar to yours. I had a T3 tumor in my tongue and had a partial glossectomy and neck dissection. No cancer was found in any of my nodes either but I will say that one of my margins was not clear and they found three 'stray' cancer cells outside of my tumor so I had to have a second surgery to get a clear margin on that side. So....I was told that there was a 1 in 5 chance that I have any more stray cancer cells in my body. So basically, the odds were in my favor that I wouldn't need radiation. However, it was strongly recommended just to be sure there wasn't anything else lurking anywhere in my head/neck area that could grow. I went ahead and went through with the radiation but it was a very tough decision to say the least. My feeling was to go ahead and do everything I could and that they recommended to try to have a cancer-free life.

Jessica Tar is a Head and Neck Cancer Advocate who also had tongue cancer that was stage 2 like yours and didn't have radiation, just surgery. Anyway, you can Google her, just for a perspective.

Good luck in your decision!

Laura Age 40
Tongue lesion on left side grew and was hurting in mid-August
Dx as squamous cell carcinoma on 9.18.18
Left Neck Dissection and tongue surgery, lost a fourth of my tongue on 10.1.18, tumor had grown to a T3
Margins were clear except front section of tongue margin had three stray cancer cells that were not in the tumor
Additional surgery 10.18.18 to remove another cm near where the stray cells were found
33 radiation treatments from Nov 2018 through Jan 2019