We're none of us doctors here and can't give medical advice ... that's the official caveat and what makes this a truly trustworthy site ... the admins can give you links to real reference materials, but not what choice to make. That really has to be between you and your family (if you want it to be) and your doctor.

I *think* they do a random selection of lymph nodes, remove them, and test them for cancer in the lab. It's a grab-and-guess procedure (unless, I suppose, they open up and see a visible tumor or some such). I had maybe 30 removed, I can't recall right now. Makes me wonder how many we have on each side! Mine were clear too. So yes, theoretically, they could remove all but one, have them all test clear, and still have one in there that is cancerous. Clearly the odds are not in favor of that ... but it could happen. And from what I experienced, doctors don't like those 'maybe' scenarios.

The choice is yours, though. Go for a second opinion with your lab results to another cancer center and see what they think. You do have some time (don't wait ages, but you do have some time!) to figure this out. It's okay to keep asking them questions. Ask THEM how they chose what lymph nodes to take ... they can give you a much better answer than my guess, for sure. And it might help you figure out what you'd be most comfortable doing, in the long run.

((hugs)) Sounds like you're doing good, for now, if you're healing up from the surgeries! Keep it up! That's worth celebrating right now.

ETA: This is a response to Paul ... sometimes it's hard to tell in certain formats.

Last edited by KristenS; 05-13-2019 07:33 PM.

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June