This is only my second post as a new member. I almost certainly acquired HPV-related cancer from oral sex. I am beyond middle age but one of my girlfriends had HPV in 1981; I had never heard of it and had no idea what it was. I may have given it to my wife a few years later and sometime or another (maybe only 12-15 months ago) a tumor at the base of my tongue started to grow. Interestingly, my wife no longer has HPV. According to one site I read (sorry, lost the link), women create 5x more antibodies than men after being infected and this can sometimes kill it.

I am happy that activists are working to get young women to get the HPV vaccine but we need to get young men involved too. The same (lost) site referenced above suggested that the numbers of OC in men will equal the number cervical cancer cases in women in 2020. Thus, this is a serious problem.

One issue that seems to constrain progress is the hesitation to talk about sex by rads and chemo oncologists. Unless that changes, many more people could become infected.

DavidDH

HPV base of tongue. Some in lymph nodes. Diagnosed 2/27/19. Seven-week treatment (3 chemo, 35 radiation) began April 1, concluded May 17.