Hi there, I was wondering if there’s anyone on here from Australia? If so, I have a few specific questions about the diagnostic process that you went through if that’s ok. I would also appreciate any other feedback/information from anyone willing to comment too. smile I do not have cancer at this stage, but have been referred for testing.

My doctor has referred me to a private ENT as she said the waiting list to go through the public system will take too long. She seems to think an opinion from a private ENT about the need for a scope etc will mean I will then be able to be referred through the public quicker. While I can find the money to cover the cost of an initial consultation, I’m concerned I will end up having to pay for the biopsy and scope etc privately too and I can’t afford that. I assumed a potential cancer referral would be pushed through quicker but she seems to think it could still take months. I do find this odd as I had more faith in our public health system here.

I’ve had a chronically sore and red throat with weird skin tag/polyps for 3-4 months and the lymph nodes on one side are all swollen, plus I have had a hard, pea sized lump that has come up under my jaw on that side. I initially tried antihistamines and elimination diets thinking it was an allergy thing, that hasn’t helped and the lymph nodes and lump have come up since then.

I also had part of my cervix removed when I was 21 due to precancerous changes caused by HPV. I don’t know which strain it was but I remember being told it was one of the more aggressive ones and the progression from CIN1 to CIN111 to precancerous (but becoming cancerous) happened in a matter of weeks so I do have concerns about leaving my throat for longer than absolutely necessary but I also have 4 kids to care for and feed and a mortgage to pay.

I know you guys can’t give medical advice but in your opinions, is it worth me trying to find the money to get the scope etc done privately rather than waiting a few months? At this stage, I’m trying not to be too concerned or worried (easier said than done though!) so I don’t want to just go throwing money away in a panic if there’s no reason to.

Thanks for listening everyone. Even just writing it out has helped me feel better smile