Diagnosed with Base of Tongue cancer from HPV-16 squamous cell cancer in Late August. Went to Mayo Clinic and started treatment in mid October - received proton therapy 5 days a week and chemo once a week for 7 weeks.
On feeding tube since early November as could not swallow food any more., Finished treatment on Dec 7 2018 and got home on Dec 10th.
1st week kinda bad, 2nd and third week pretty bad on recovery. Lots of Phlegm and pain. On a 12mcg Fentanyl patch since arriving home and supplement with 1000ml of liquid Tylenol 4x a day, and additional 1-3 ml of oxycodone as needed. Also 10-20 ml 6x day of Tussin to reduce phlegm - works well sometime not so well other times. Throat feels buring quite a bit at times.
Phlegm leaks down the esophagus if I don't sleep nearly upright. Starting to sleep better and seeing a reduction in phlegm at end of 3rd week of recovery. Still on feeding tube and am being encouraged to start with chewing ice and swallow small amounts of water.
Christmas drove me nuts with all the food I couldnt eat. Still - made the family and friends cookies as I usually do this time of year. Was good therapy.
On 6 containers of Kate's Farm Core Essentials (325 calories a can) and am maintaining my weight, went up a pound or so (203) after starting treatment at about 225. Am noticing loss of muscle mass and want to supplement what I am putting in my feeding tube.goes in
Also adding in Natural Gator ade for sodium (was low) and adding liquid magnesium and Vit D3 per the doctors okay and demand I supplement magnesium.
Both local doctor and Mayo clinic doc are pleased with improving blood work.
Look forward to beating this and getting back to eating - so am here to try and get pointers and help,
Thanks!