Im sorry, I missed seeing you are from Canada on your profile. I had given you info about the ACS which is in the US and wouldnt be an option for you in Ontario. Im glad Gloria checked in with you. She has a wealth of info after going thru these battles with her husband. Im sure she can be a great resource to you both smile

Im certain the radiation oncologist fully understands how difficult it is for oral cancer (OC) patients to hold onto their current weight. All oncologists who deal with OC know eating becomes a challenge as almost all patients encounter sore throats, very little appetite, changes in their sense of taste, mouth sores, etc while going thru rads. I can bet the doc sees in both of you your hidden traits where following directions at the same time as possessing solid inner strength to do what it takes to eliminate the cancer asap. Patients and caregivers who have that sort of drive going into this will usually fare better than those patients who try doing things their own way. After 11 years here, Ive seen far too many struggle due to not making the daily minimums of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. Rads gets progressively more difficult as patients go thru it. Most patients begin to feel its effects anywhere from week 2-5. I was one who struggled thru and had my ups and downs, I didnt always make the daily intake minimums either. My low intake was what caused me to struggle. But... I also did not have a committed caregiver in my corner. Sue is very lucky to have you going thru this with her. You sound like a loving committed couple trying to do all the right things. Even with our brief interactions, I already have a good feeling and know you will be right by Sues side every step of the way.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma