Hello there,

I recently had my 2 year follow up PET/CT scan and it came with a few small concerns. I think they are small, I was kind of in shock and I'm not sure if I understand completely what's happening. So, I was originally diagnosed with SCC on the left side of tongue and it was present in 2 (or was it 3?) lymph nodes on the left side of my neck (they removed like all of them though). I had chemo and radiation. I've had follow up scans what seems like every 3 months since then. On my 1 year follow up, there was some "activity" in the nasopharynx, did a scope and nothing visible. Same thing with this PET - some activity, did a scope, nothing visible. The "SUV maximum" is 5.1. But apparently that's not a big deal?

This most recent scan also showed 2 lymph nodes on the right side (wrong side....) of my neck with SUV max 2.3.

Also, in the right infrahilar region, FDG avid lymph nodes with SUV maximum of 4.0. And a 7mm nodule on the right lower lobe with some FDG activity.

SO...should I be way more concerned than I am? What the heck does any of this mean? The appointment is just a blur now but doctor is doing an MRI to take a look at the nasopharynx and the neck lymph nodes and sending me to a thoracic surgeon to check out the lungs.

Has anyone had anything like this? Isn't it really weird that it's on the right/opposite side? Do these values mean it is cancer and it has returned? Probably not a great question to ask the general public and I should have asked the doctor but I couldn't get those words out I guess.

Thanks for your input and your support!

Amanda

Amanda
Surgery-Partial Glossectomy & MRND: Feb.10.2016
Port & PEG: March.16.2016
Rads: March.23.2016-May.9.2016
Cisplatin: March.23.2016 & April.13.2016