Im very sorry the results were not better! Im sure everyone is upset. I have no doubt your father is in pain and shock. I suggest talking with his doctors about any therapists they have on staff he can talk to. OC patients (some caregivers too) often have a hard time dealing with their illness mentally. Its definitely NOT easy going thru being diagnosed with a serious health condition and going thru brutal treatments. Speaking from a patients perspective, after being diagnosed with cancer, we all worry even if we dont always appear as if we do. Being forced to face our own mortality is definitely not easy to handle mentally!

Usually we see patients start rads with or without chemo about 6 weeks post surgery. During this time the patient needs to rest up and prepare for their next round of treatment. Once he is feeling a little better try to encourage him to eat as much as possible. Try to get him to have all his favorite foods, desserts too. Radiation treatments for most arent easy and can cause some issues that will make eating difficult. He does NOT want to go into rads with cravings! Its likely to be many weeks after finishing rads before your father is able to eat well enough to have his favorites. If your father is slim, he needs to put on a few pounds before going into rads.

Hang in there!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy