Make sure he has paper and pen or a dry erase board with dry erase markers. If he has an ipad, theres an app called Speak It that will say out loud what he types so he can communicate with the hospital staff easier. The other thing is to make sure they address his pain levels so he is not uncomfortable. He had a major surgery and Im sure he must be in pain. Make sure his medical team and all the nurses know your father has panic attacks so they can watch him closely.

The trach needs to be cleaned out at least once a day. The hospital should have a suction machine to get the gunk out so it doesnt get clogged so much. I would definitely talk to the nurses and the doc when you can and make sure they understand the trach is really bothering him and he's having issues with it clogging.

Be there as much as possible to be your fathers voice. Some facilities say no visitors 24/7 but then will bend the rules especially in cases like your fathers where he isnt able to speak. Always ask, dont just assume they patient guide applies in your fathers case. Even if it specifically says visitors allow say noon to 8PM, Im sure there are plenty of visitors staying well past that time. Ive seen it during my many hospital stays. If you dont ask you dont get. The nurses are probably overworked with too many patients to juggle. Having family members help with a patient helps them which is why they often will look the other way about those things.

Best wishes to your father for a speedy recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma