Jennifer, travellottie brought up an excellent point. The surgery after rads can sometimes not be for the tumor but a neck dissection to remove lymph nodes. I suggest you confirm the surgery specifics with the physicians who are treating your husband. It could be exactly what travelottie suggested.

Here is a list of the countrys top 69 cancer centers (out of 1500) . On the left column you will find the type of cancer center either basic, clinical or comprehensive. This tool may be helpful to you in seeking out another opinion. Since OCF has members from all over the world, finding someone who is near your local area to pass along doctor info may not happen right away when you need it. Plus, what one patient thinks is ok another may not and its that particular patients opinion, not scientifically ranked. OCF doesnt rate doctors or hospitals (other websites are dedicated to this) but we do go by the NCI list of the top facilities in the US. There are also organizations out there that help cancer patients with free or low cost air travel and special lodging for cancer patients who must travel for treatments or other opinions. Ive put both links below in case you (or anyone reading this) needed further info about these things.
Best wishes!!!

NCI top 69 US cancer centers

Main OCF Website... Financial Assistance including Air travel/Lodging

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus