I'm sorry things are not going well for the time being. If he really cannot swallow, or can swallow very little, it is okay to rely on the PEG feeding at least until the end of treatment and a couple of weeks after that.

From what I have read on the forum, some people dilute the feed a bit and others slow it down. ChristineB has a lot of experience with this and has given people good advice. Hopefully, she will be along soon.

As for the anti-emetics, we were always told to get top of the nausea, i.e., don't wait till the vomiting starts before taking Zofran. My husband was on Zofran for quite a bit during treatment.

If you husband shows signs of trismus, maybe you should start with the mouth-stretching exercises now rather than later. Of course, if he is really nauseous, you may want to find a time when he is feeling fine to do it.

It is very frustrating for a caregiver because you are trying to do the right thing but the patient is having difficulty doing it. I would suggest that while being vigilant, you ease up a little if he is really not doing well. The makeup feed can be given divided up among the remaining feeds rather than one whole feed.

In the midst of all this, please make sure you are sleeping and eating well. You use up a lot of energy doing the caregiveing and you don't want to end up getting sick yourself.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.