Ed and Christine, thank you for your words. Judging by your signatures, youve both had incredible and harrowing experiences with oral cancer, and Im happy your both doing well.

Ive known for a long time that I need to stop using tobacco, and this is the wake up call that I needed. Trust me, Im done with it. I come from a long line of tobacco users, all of whom lived long lives, and none of whom ever suffered from oral or lung cancers, so I thought (here it comes:) it would never happen to me. Especially at a young age. So I have just put off quitting year after year. Now that I can see right in front of me the potential impact it could have on my life, my wife and children, and my flying career, it makes me sick to even consider continuing its use.

As for the alcohol, thats gonna be a little tougher. I am not an alcoholic. I can easily go days or a week without a drop, and I dont drink much liquor. But boy, I sure do love to have a good beer or two when the mood strikes. I cant imagine life without beer. I will do my best to abstain though, at least until my mouth heals.

I do have a couple questions.

1) Are you suggesting that I give this "spot" time to clear up on its own before I see an ENT? I do already have an appt on Weds the 18th with a cancer treating ENT.

2) Any thoughts on when I should bring my wife into the loop? I dont keep health secrets from her, although up until his point Ive never really had any to keep. My plan is to see what the ENT says on Weds, and take it from there. If he/she (the ENT) cuts into my tongue for a biopsy, obviously I'll have no choice but to 'fess up. My hope is that I get an "all clear" and this can just be my little secret...

I know that worrying about this is doing me no good. I know Im way ahead of myself. However, in spite of the fact that I know these things, Im finding it very hard not to obsess about it. Ive just never had a scare like this.

Thank you again for listening to me. Hopefully Im all worked up over nothing.