Bret, welcome to OCF! I hope you do not need our site but if you would we are here to help you.

First... dont get too far ahead of yourself. At this point you only just noticed the spot. If a sore has been present for 2 weeks or longer and it does not heal on its own then its time to get it checked by a professional. That would be an ENT who specializes in treating oral cancer patients. Next Im going to be the bad guy who tells you to eliminate the alcohol and tobacco immediately. You want to give the spot time to heal on its own without all the irritants/poisons from both smoking or chewing tobacco and alcohol is a major irritant. Getting rid of these things will hopefully help the sore to heal. Maybe this could be the start of a new healthier lifestyle free from alcohol and tobacco. Eventually anyone who uses tobacco (in any form) will find some type of health problem that was caused by tobacco. Why risk it? I am speaking from experience!!! I smoked (not heavy but for many years), now Im disfigured, missing half my lower jaw, can barley eat and endured more medical treatments/surgeries/procedures than any patient should. Im thrilled to still be here and able to help others but I definitely have many limitations and daily struggles. Let this be your wake up call to do the right thing, if not for yourself, do it for your family.

If the spot is still there after 2 weeks, seek out a biopsy from an ENT who specializes in treating oral cancer patients. Some ENTs primarily put tubes in kids ears, you do NOT want that type of ENT.

All this will be alot of hurry up and wait. Its likely to take you several weeks until you know what you are dealing with. Those few weeks wont make much of a difference if it would be cancerous. It would be a few more weeks until any treatment started. But thats all IF you actually do have cancer, which odds are you do not. Base of tongue cancer does not include tumors on the side of your tongue. The base of your tongue is way down deep in your throat hidden from your view. Having a thorough oral cancer screening every 6 months should catch any irregularities early enough to make it easy to treat, IF you do have cancer.

Hopefully this is not anything serious!!! Wishing you all the very best with everything. Please stop back and let us know how you make out. Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma