Hi Brian,
Thank you for reaching out to me. My husband is 69 years old. He is being treated at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Md. The info I am giving you is directly from his surgical pathology report from 02/2016.
Interpretation and diagnosis:
Left tonsillar mass - combined small cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, HPV related at the base of his tongue. Both tumor components are positive for high risk HPV by RNA in situ hybridization.
34 lymph nodes were taken from various neck levels. All were clear with the exception of level 2 where the combination cancer was found.
Neck dissection removed the tumor and lymph nodes but the lesion at the base of tongue was not removed. His treatment consisted of 35 radiation treatments over 7 weeks concurrent with 4 cycles of chemotherapy of Cisplatin and Etoposide
Given 3 days on and 21 days off.

Tests confirmed this cancer is not related to my husband's prostate cancer or clear cell renal cancer.
It is indeed a third primary cancer.
My husband has Ct scans of his chest, abdomen, and pelvis every 4 months to check on the kidney cancer. He had his left kidney and adrenal gland ( enlarged but no sign of cancer) removed in March, 2015. No far with no other treatment, he is NED. Prostate cancer was also contained. Had radiation plus brachytherapy
plus hormone therapy. So far no spread and no further treatment.
He has also had a brain scan 1 month ago due to speech problems when he was hospitalized at Hopkins with neutropenia for 10 days. Scan showed nothing brain related. Speech problem cleared when fevers were resolved. He is scheduled for a PET/CT in August to see how well the treatments worked.
The Drs at Hopkins tell me that while this is very rare they have had the results double checked with experts at Hopkins and the pathology results are accurate. The treatment has been the most aggressive they have. In their words they have pushed my husband to the edge of the cliff without " pushing him off the cliff".
It has been hard to say the least. I was hoping to find someone else with a similar diagnosis but I am realizing my husband is in a class by himself. I can say he is healing extremely well thanks to the support of his medical team.

Please let me know if you need additional info. I really don't know of nor can I find any info of trials or centers that specialize in this kind of cancer.

Sincerely,
Kokomo