From my understanding the NG tube is very easy to use. It can be removed or inserted by the patient or caregiver. One of our former admin used the NG tube. Its meant for short term use. The link below has tons of info about feeding tubes, formulas, and tips.

Main OCF pages--- feeding tubes

If a patient is only taking in 200 calories daily then that is not enough to sustain him. Its not even a quarter of what his daily intake should be. When skimping on intake it can only lead to some major problems. Eventually his body will struggle and he will start feeling horrible from malnutrition and dehydration. If I remember correctly, a person can go 2 weeks without food but only a few days without water. Your husband can always get hydrated at the hospital. A few bags of IV will help him to bounce back. But... if he is continuing to only take in very limited fluids dehydration will eventually catch up to him and he will feel lousy.

Hopefully your husband will agree to get the NG tube. If he skimps with fluids and calories daily its only a matter of time before his physician orders a feeding tube anyway. Better to get one before there is a problem with his health.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy