Most of my mandible jaw, lower gums and teeth were removed in 2008 due to ORN,12 months after my original cancer surgery and 8 months after radiotherapy/chemotherapy finished. ORN started in and around a jaw split surgeons cut to remove a tumour from my tongue and floor of mouth. During surgery this jaw split was refastened with small titanium plates and screws before sending me into 6 weeks radiotherapy/chemotherapy.

Antibiotics, HBO and attempts at scraping away dead bone didn�t work for me and the pain was excruciating from infected bone � my mandible was falling apart and needed to be removed and reconstructed. ORN spread both sides of the jaw split killing bone, gums, surrounding soft tissue and 13 teeth. My mandible was rebuilt with hip (crest) bone and new flaps made from my hip area also. Since the mandible removal/reconstruction I�ve had teeth implant posts inserted surgically into my artificial mandible and many cosmetic surgeries trying to improve quality of life issues. I no longer have a chin and my lower face and mouth cavity is permanently messed up and my speech isn't clear, but thankfully I can still swallow thick liquids like soup or smoothies.

Best wishes to you and your husband.

Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery