Please take a look at my 2011 and more recent posts related to my ORN. I fiddled while my jaw burned from 2011 until my partial mandibulectomy in October 2014. I finally switched to an oral surgeon who advised that no amount of ABTs would halt the ORN. He performed my mandibulectomy and I elected not to have reconstructive surgery. I have used a feeding tube only for all nutrition and hydration since 2011, and I'm past cosmetic concerns, so the reconstruction decision was easy for me. My surgery was easy with just one night in the hospital and no recovery issues. Healing was pretty complete in a couple of weeks.

You may want to inquire about mandibulectomy without reconstruction and whether your husband is a candidate for this simpler approach. I underwent 120 dives between 2010 and 2014 and the ORN was not arrested.

Be well. Zenda
12/04 SCC Tonsil, Stage IV T3N2BM0. Mod RND, resect right oropharynx, free-flap, resect right tongue base. Erbitux,Docetaxel,RT X 33. 6/08 Mets lung, hilar lymph node:Carboplatin, Docetaxel. 2010 2nd clinical trial:lung clear, node stable. ORN,trismus,dysphagia. 8-10/2012 cryoablation,brachytherapy,cyberknife to lymph node. 12/12 NED. 6/13 Mets RLL lung: 8/13 cyberknife. 11/13 NED.