Thanks again for the support everyone. I want to go into a little more detail about my situation to get further feedback. Paul, your response has raised some more questions for me. I truly value and respect the opinions of those on this site.

My treatment is to consist of 33 radiation treatments and 6 rounds or Erbitux to be started at the same time and run concurrent. I was told by the doctors that had I not been HPV positive, they would have opted for cisplatin. Apparently the prognosis using Erbitux is slightly better for those of us who are HPV positive than cisplatin. I was also told cisplatin can cause permanent hearing loss and kidney damage. This did not factor into the decision of the doctors to go with Erbitux.

Both my radiation oncologist and my medical oncologist didn't think I would have any side effects for about 2 weeks. After one radiation treatment I noticed drymouth. I have now completed 5 radiation treatments and food doesn't taste good at all or taste like it used to. The drymouth has increased. I am not complaining about these side effects, just sharing. I know the side effects I have experienced thus far are nothing compared to what is to come soon.

My first (loading) round of Erbitux was 900 mg, the remaining five will be 450. I am hopeful that now that I have the right nausea medication and the fact I can do fluids through my port at home, I will be able to better manage.

Doug
48 year old male, non smoker, former drinker
HPV positive
7/13/15 diagnosed SCC, base of tongue over midline.
8/17/15 start 33 radiation treatments and 6 weeks of erbitux