Julia, if your son is able to swallow, he can drink his calories. There are many over the counter drinks available like ensure or boost. In the US, they can be found in most grocery stores or pharmacies. Or, you can always order thru Amazon (please use the OCF link).

I cant stress enough how important his intake is. For most patients, rads isnt easy. Many patients struggle with significant weight loss due to their swallowing ability being compromised during treatments. This leads to malnutrition and dehydration which can mean hospitalizations. Ive been down that road way too many times, myself. When in that state, the patient feels terrible!

I would also suggest asking the docs about a feeding tube. If you son already has problems with eating, rads may only make things more difficult. Think of it as a temporary tool to get him past the rough spots for a few weeks, maybe months. I was resistant to getting one but my docs talked me into it. As a newly diagnosed patient, many feel they have few if any choices so when presented with the feeding tube they decline. Ive noticed from years on the forum, many male patients are not open to using the feeding tube. Its an option that could be a very important part of his treatments. It will help keep him hydrates and nourished, he can even put his medicines thru it too.

Your son can also get extra hydration thru out his treatments. Here in the US a prescription is required and its done in the hospital chemo lab. The patients who get a couple bags of extra fluids generally seem to feel a little better while going thru treatments. Check with the doc about this as well.

Hope I didnt overwhelm you with TMI. Im just trying to help prepare you both for whats coming up. Hopefully your son will be one of the lucky ones who sail right thru their treatments without many of the side effects.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma