I feel so sad about the options your mum has, Horsegirl. I thought I would add my bit because at 69 I am close in age to your mother.My last surgery and rads were a year ago.

I feel I have lots on the horizon and certainly don't feel ready to let life go. I have a new grandchild due and feel I have learnt so much from cancer that I have something to contribute to the world. IF my situation was dire and the pain was terrible I hope I would have the courage to let nature take its course and face my mortality. But when there's hope? When you are still in pretty good physical shape?

Does age really come into it at this stage unless there are serious underlying health problems?

I'm saying this to give you another angle on the dilemma. As an older woman I would probably give the surgery a go, even though I hate surgery with a passion.

Just my personal take and remember I don't know the details:) Much love to you and your mother.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.