Thank you ChristineB and Virgo for your thoughts and prayers. This left modified neck dissection will make it the 5th time I've been put to sleep so it's 'been there done that' type of mindset for me and it won't be nowhere near as big of a procedure as the partial glossectomy+dissection so this surgery doesn't bother me. I'm scheduled for surgery this Friday March 27th and the things that do concern me are that my ENT said since I've underwent radiation, there are more risk factors while performing a neck dissection...

He said there's a 5% chance they will have to put a trach in because my jaw can't open as wide as it did before, so the anesthesiologist might have troubles getting the tube down my throat to put me to sleep. There's a possibility that they can't put me to sleep in standard fashion, therefore performing a fiber optic intibation in which he will wake me back up to freeze my throat and put the tube in himself to knock me out.

Also if the mass is close to my nerve in my neck, he will have to cut the nerve out and I will have damage to the nerve to the shoulder, and there's a 7/10 chance I'll get the feeling back compared to 9/10 if I did this procedure pre-Rads. I lift weights so this is my biggest concern. Also he said I will be able to work out 7 days post surgery. I'm hoping all goes well and I come out with just a standard neck dissection and call it a day!

Last edited by BrandonK427; 03-24-2015 07:01 PM.

Male, 23 year old�Dx 6/17/14 with SCC R Lateral tongue
CT scan clear lymph nodes 6/20/14
HPV-, form-smoker, casual drinker
Right Hemiglossectomy Surgery 6/24/14
(Not reccurrence but went to NCCC instead)
Right neck diss., trach, radial free flap, right tongue diss. surg 8/11/14
PT1N2B..3 positive lymph nodes out of 13
Extranodal extension present
9-15-14 IMRT (35x) and Cisplatin (2x) begun
10-21-14 peg in. 11-4-14 IMRT rx comp. 1-9-15 peg out
3-27-15 Recurrent tumor in lymph node, Left neck diss.
10-29-15 passed away