Cisplatin is platinum based so same class as carboplatin for example. Erbitux is newer and based on a different principle. Others may have more of the medical differences.

Cisplatin is recognized as the go-to chemo for oral cancers for "typical" cases for quite a long time. It can create long term side effects such as hearing loss if not carefully monitored. I did not lose hair and experienced few side effect when received in smaller weekly doses.

Erbitux causes various skin problems from what I read as I did not receive this chemo. It seems to have fewer long term side effects so maybe a bit less toxic and overall less harsh on the body.

Nausea was controlled very well for me even during TPF induction, combination of Taxotere, Cisplatin, and 5FU. It knocked me down very hard but nausea was managed through various meds.

I did lose my hair during TPF and since my hair stayed put while getting cisplatin during rad-chemo I suspect it was the taxotere (taxane) or the 5FU that was the culprit.

One thing very important in your specific case is your brother at 26 is relatively very young for SCC OC. The recommended therapies are based on many factors, some include age and health of patient.

Since chemo and radiation are very hard on the body, the doctors will consider the risk of long term side effects. The doctor suggesting Erbitux may do so since it might be less toxic and possibly fewer long term side effects.

Best bet is to ask specifically the basis for each recommendation and the tradeoff against using the other.

Good luck to you both, Don

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4