Welcome of OCF Gracie. The specialty clinic will set the tone for the next few months. They have three options, radiotherapy, chemotherapy and surgery. It depends on the case but HPV P16 +ve SCCs respond really well to radiation, so thats often the first choice, backed up by chemo. They will make an assessment based on a range of factors specific to your husband's case. There may be some dental work required too, but they'll let you know what you need to do.

In the meantime you have a roller coaster of things going through your minds to worry about. That is completely normal and if necessary you can see a psychologist for some coping tools during the waiting process. It sounds like you're doing the right thing and not think too far ahead.

Its not a time for a holiday, but do what you can to relax and in particular eat well. Eat as well as you can (both of you). Lots of proteins, fresh vegetables and juices. Lots of fluids, keep the bowels going, avoid people with colds and flus, a bit of exercise, just generally do what you can to be as healthy as possible to face whatever comes next. Normally we would say bulk up as much as you can because he will lose weight later. Given his other issues I'd stick with what the dietitian advice. That may change after an SCC diagnosis, but they are the experts. 2500 is good calorie number, you'll hear that many times.

Be careful with what you Google and get from the internet, including here. You can scare yourself silly very easily, and not every headache is a brain tumour! What the internet is useful for is to help you understand the flood of information you need to absorb. I find it best to use the internet to understand what a doctor has already told me, or to frame questions to ask him. Keep a noteboook and take it to every appointment. Jot down questions, appointment times, medication instructions etc.

Every cancer journey is different, but you'll find most of us have driven over the same bumps. We'll be here to support you both. Best wishes for the diagnosis.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.