In dealing with some issues in my mouth related to post-radiation, but ENT told me to suck on candy to increase saliva flow, because the low output of he glands means they get flushed much less and are more prone to infection and stones. So I got some xylitol candy (Ice Chips and Dr. Johns candy tablets) because it doesn't change to acid the mouth and cause tooth decay. It really helps saliva flow, although sometimes it takes awhile because my mouth is so dry to begin with.

Anyway, I'm wondering now. For those of us who can still get some flow, wouldn't this increased flow also protect our teeth. And so wouldn't this real saliva work as well using enzyme mouth rinse.

BTW, xylitol can have bad side effects. But I use only about 10 grams over the span of a day.

Squamous cell carcinoma base of tongue. Lymph involvement unclear; staging placed at "2 or 3." Biopsy 4/18/2008. Treatment: IMRT every day for 7 weeks. Cisplaten once a week to sensitize cancer to radiation. Treatment ended 7/16/08. PET/CT shows no more cancer.