Posted By: Andrew111 Encourage Saliva Flow? - 07-22-2014 02:06 AM
In dealing with some issues in my mouth related to post-radiation, but ENT told me to suck on candy to increase saliva flow, because the low output of he glands means they get flushed much less and are more prone to infection and stones. So I got some xylitol candy (Ice Chips and Dr. Johns candy tablets) because it doesn't change to acid the mouth and cause tooth decay. It really helps saliva flow, although sometimes it takes awhile because my mouth is so dry to begin with.

Anyway, I'm wondering now. For those of us who can still get some flow, wouldn't this increased flow also protect our teeth. And so wouldn't this real saliva work as well using enzyme mouth rinse.

BTW, xylitol can have bad side effects. But I use only about 10 grams over the span of a day.
Posted By: donfoo Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 07-22-2014 07:10 AM
Anything to promote saliva production is a good thing as it is very helpful in keeping cavities away. With dry mouth, the lack of saliva encourages more cavities.

Always keep up with flossing, waterpik, brushing etc. to keep your mouth and teeth free of food particles.
Posted By: n74tg Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 07-22-2014 11:27 AM
How much xylitol would you get from chewing Trident gum?

Anybody heard anything bad about Trident?
Posted By: Uptown Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 07-22-2014 11:55 AM
Andrew111, the general rule with xylitol is "Thrive for Five". Five contacts a day to keep things in balance. Xylitol will also protect the teeth as it is carie-static, but not from remineralization. Xylitol destroys the bacteria that causes tooth decay.

Try some of the lemon Dr John's candy, as lemon also is can stimulate saliva flow for some. I have tried many xylitol candy and found Dr John's works the best for me and after several months, my saliva returned significantly. However, I also used PerioSciences ProVantage hydrating oral gel along with the candy. I can walk outside in extreme heat for an hour without a water bottle for the first time in a decade or so.

Keep the xylitol away from dogs, too. Although studies have shown it takes quite a bit to have an effect, I wouldn't want to test it on my little dog.
Posted By: Andrew111 Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 07-25-2014 04:57 PM
Thanks. Considering that I can no longer find an enzyme toothpaste that is gentle enough, what I could do is encourage saliva flow right after brushing. That way I would have the fluoride and my own natural enzymes protecting my teeth.
Posted By: Debz Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 08-02-2014 01:59 PM
Hi, i am almost 8 years post DX and treatment, i recently had some dental surgery and had to have HBO treatment after i was done with it all i noticed i have saliva, its not enough to eat without water yet but i no longer have to carry water around with me as my mouth is always wet (yeah),I loose most of my teeth and then get my saliva back (so typical of me)but still its amazing to have a wet mouth again...it just shows though anything can happen i had given up on getting mine back ...keep the faith
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 08-02-2014 10:12 PM
Amazing!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Gary Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 08-08-2014 05:41 PM
If you breathe through your mouth while sleeping or put any salt in your diet, that will have a big impact on saliva production.
Posted By: ngk Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 08-10-2014 03:58 PM
Many thanks for all the great info Uptown. Just had to have my two front teeth bonded as they just started crumbling very quickly. Nice to read the other posts too, glad to see there can be some improvement.
Posted By: GolfGrandpa Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 12-14-2014 04:29 AM
My radiation Oncologist and my dentist told me to use a fluoride gel, preferably in trays (like football players use to protect their teeth) for 10-15 minutes EVERY DAY.

Reading these posts, I'm not going to skip many days.

Although, it seems that the fluoride coats the inside of my mouth and makes my dry mouth worse for several hours afterwards; so, I try to do this just before bed, as I breath through my mouth at nite.
Posted By: JGD99 Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 12-14-2014 02:53 PM
Hi, I'm almost 4 months from end of radiation and my dentist has recommended a prescription level fluoride toothpaste instead of the trays. I did try acupuncture for a while, but results were only slight for me, so I discontinued it. I am now using the cevilimine 3X a day, and maybe noticing a slight uptick in saliva production. I think I do "mouth breathe" at night-- I'm not sure you can do anything about that. Lately I have noticed it was less dry the first time or two I got up in the night. Recent dental checkup was great, my dentist is keeping me on normal 6 month checkups. I do brush several times a day and my night routine is 1.) floss 2.) brush with flouride & baking soda toothpaste 3.) biotene rinse 4.) prescription fluoride toothpaste.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 12-14-2014 03:15 PM
JGD99, the first brushing is being negated when you use the mouthwash, unless you rinse 15-20 minutes after the brushing. With the high flouride toothpaste, you should not rinse, either. Spit it out, don't swallow it, too.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 12-14-2014 03:33 PM
I have never used the trays. It's all flouride toothpaste for me, twice or sometimes three times a day. I would try and rinse before bed, provided it's at least 20 minutes later. The mouth breathing is your bigger enemy.
Posted By: JGD99 Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 01-20-2015 02:17 AM
@ Uptown, what part of the first brushing is negated? Do you mean the fluoride dose? I figure it's just mechanically cleaning my teeth, then the mouthwash helps get rid of any food that's left, and the final step, the high fluoride toothpaste stays, I spit, but don't rinse with that last one.

Even if that first brushing is neutralized somehow, the final should cover things, right?
Posted By: Di66 Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 01-21-2015 06:41 PM
Hi all
Any tips on saliva function always welcome on here! I use prescription toothpaste never been given the option of fluoride trays when I enquired was told that I didn't need them. I too chew sugar free gum , like Tony using the trident tropical twist plus any of the extra range (UK) brand. For me pilocarpine also known as salagen tablets are helping , I'm learning to manage the side effects but I know others really find them un manageable .
Take care Di
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 01-21-2015 08:19 PM
Gatorade chewing gum was something my son used that helped with the saliva, but don't know if it is still available.
Posted By: fish Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 02-01-2015 03:51 PM
I use the mentors sugar free gum. It contains xylitol as one of its first ingredients. I agree with uptown in using the fluoride last and not rinsing after.
Posted By: Andrew111 Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 02-04-2015 03:43 AM
Someone mentioned fluoride, so I thought I'd add this. I'm not using saliva encouragement as a replacement for fluoride gel. I'm still using Omni Gel Dental Treatment 0.4% stannous fluoride once a day. During my last dental visit, the hygienist told me to consider Enamelon products, which in include oral gel and toothpaste. She said both contain stannous fluoride and both can remineralize. I ordered the toothpaste, but I'm sticking with my current gel until I can find out more.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Encourage Saliva Flow? - 02-04-2015 07:35 AM
[quote=JGD99]@ Uptown, what part of the first brushing is negated? Do you mean the fluoride dose? I figure it's just mechanically cleaning my teeth, then the mouthwash helps get rid of any food that's left, and the final step, the high fluoride toothpaste stays, I spit, but don't rinse with that last one.

Even if that first brushing is neutralized somehow, the final should cover things, right?
[/quote]

I'm not sure what I was thinking. But, I also am not sure why you would want to brush your teeth twice. I guess it's a tie? smile
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum