Finding this bit hard, 37 days after rads finished. So much to be thankful for like the return of energy and some taste but I'm struggling a bit in this vacuum where all sorts of things are going on in my mouth but I'm not seeing a doctor till 15 July. I can taste many things but not enjoy. I have two flaps now and no bottom teeth on one side as well as gaps elsewhere. I could eat a few soft foods before rads but now my mouth just feels incapable of even a slightly firm poached egg. While I'm lucky I can taste it, there's absolutely no pleasure in the taste. The only taste I can enjoy is vanilla/peach or (especially) chocolate in milk-shakes. Every day I try one non-formula food item and really it's hardly worth it because I can't flush the food debris out of my mouth without a syringe (haven't got a proper Waterpik).

The numbness, tightness and swelling around the affected area, which extends to my left lower lip, is driving me mad. It has always been a problem but now the nerves seem to be firing up more and the sensation is intrusive, hard to ignore even though or perhaps because the rest of my body feels absolutely normal. I feel uncomfortable with my dental plate in too which leaves me toothless at the front if someone comes to the door unless I can make a quick dash to the bathroom. I get relief from Oxynorm which doctors at the hospital are quite free with but I have only a few left and don't want to ask for more because of the addiction risk.

I don't know why I'm whingeing now because I have the speech/swallowing therapist tomorrow and the dental team the next day. I guess I'm preparing to flood them with questions.

Feels better having written all this:)

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.