Maureen, my daughter has contacted 'Canteen' which is an organisation for children up to 25 years of age who are affected by cancer. She can find some support there.

I have contacted the cancer foundation (I wasn't even allowed to join their forum for head and neck cancer as it is for cancer sufferers only and not for their carers. What a joke. I am and will be the primary caregiver but that's another story).

I have learnt that the Cancer Foundation has a peer support so I asked my husband to contact them. Well what can I say he got contacted by a cancer survivor (not with the same cancer though) , had a chat and the person said I'll give you a call in four weeks and see how you are doing. Hmm� I don't want to sound ungrateful but truly, that's it?

I have been able to get some support through the Carers Association mainly offering workshops and how to cope with stress. That's all nice but doesn't really help me.

I have spoken with Mental Health Association there is no support available with regards to cancer.

I am sure that there has to be some support out there. I will keep looking.

The best resource has been this forum so far as to expectations, treatment and medication. It seems as if I have to learn all about it in order to know what to do.

As to myself I haven't stopped crying, filled with sadness and desperation. Having suffered from my own loss of my husband and marriage due to mental health now this.
Trying to stay positive but it's so difficult. Times are uncertain and I can bear only so much. What if I am not coping? Who is taking care of the family, house, property maintenance and paying the bills?
Well one thing at a time.

Thank you for listening and your support.

Heike

Working caregiver of my husband (51) Simon

03/2014 oropharyngeal cancer, stage IVB, T2N3M0, HPV 16 +
04/2014 Neck dissection - 39 lymph nodes removed, one node positive greater than 6cm, tumour in tonsil reaching into soft palette
28/04/14 begin of treatment
33 x RADS 66 Gy, 33 x chemo cisplatin 13mg each
29/04/14. pick two lines
12/06/14 finished treatment
09/ 14 Pet scan clear