[quote=Aditya385] We know that we can push him...[/quote]

If he is resisting continued treatment, sure you could push him... But please don't. This is your grandfather's call; no one else gets a vote.

He shouldn't, however, quit under the mistaken impression that no cancer remains. As long as his treatment's incomplete you have to assume that his cure is incomplete. And persistent cancer almost always has horrible consequences.

On the other hand, treatment definitely entails gambling quality of life in a bid to gain quantity of life. At 76, it is not unreasonable to ask whether the risks are worth it. While many have decent long-term outcomes, others are far less fortunate. There's no guarantee treatment will extend his life. No guarantee he won't wind up with horrible long-term side effects that make his remaining years miserable. In fact, there's no guarantee that treatment itself won't kill him.

One approach would be to help your grandfather understand the risks and potential benefits of his options. Do everything you can to remove any barriers to continued treatment such as pain, fear, depression, cost, transportation difficulties, etc. Help him focus on long-term possibilities, rather than short-term suffering. And then support him with all your heart no matter what he chooses.

I'm so sorry that your family and your grandfather are facing cancer again and that he's having such a hard time. You are a loyal, loving grandchild and I can only imagine how painful it is to see him go through this. My heart goes out to all of you.

T3N2aM0 HPV+
5/26/13 discovered painless superball-sized lymph node in neck
6/26/13 DX SCC R palatine tonsil
7/16/13 TORS tonsillectomy & selective ND, mets to 2 nodes
9/3/13 Cisplatin and rads begin, tolerated 1.5 of 3 planned chemo doses
10/16/13 Treatment ends
Dec 13 Ulcer appears at surgery site
Jan 17 Biopsy -- no cancer!
Feb 17 CT/PET Scan lights up tonsil bed & nasal cavity, docs say probably inflammation, don't panic, rescan when ulcer subsides