Welcome to OCF! The questions you ask are not easy to answer. Our group is made up of oral cancer survivors and caregivers, we do not have medical backgrounds.

I would approach the issue like this... if the treatments are not finished and the cancer returns in a short time, radiation may not be an option. Given your grandfathers history it would be better to complete the treatments rather than guess if all the cancer has been eliminated.

Radiation becomes progressively more difficult as the treatments continue. As the patient nears the end of their treatments, they have many side effects which make it hard to keep going. Depression is common with OC patients.

Focus must be on their intake, every single day taking in at least 2500 calories and 48-60 oz of water. If these minimums are not met, the side effects can quickly become out of control with malnutrition and dehydration among other issues setting in making the patient feel even worse. Even though it is difficult, painful, and probably one of the hardest things most patients have even had to do, the end result of being cancer free is worth it. A nasal tube is available to help push the patient to increase their intake. Every day they still should swallow even if it hurts. The swallowing muscles can quickly "forget" how to function when not used. I know this isnt easy to do but it must be done. At the treatment facility patients who need extra fluids should be able to get hydrated in the chemo lab with a doctors orders. At least thats available here in the US. It would help him to avoid dehydration and he would feel much better when properly hydrated.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy