I made it through three of six weeks before I got so bad my docs have called a break. I am purely PEG at this point, with sips of water. My tongue is so covered with sores and burns it looks like a horror movie. And now I notice that despite a couple days off, it has swollen ginormously.

I have also lost hair, which was disturbing more by its suddenness. It is mostly under my ponytail, along the rad line. I will at least get a great geisha neck out of this.

How does one go on with this? I was low on reserves to start with, due to a year of surgeries and my own prior health issues. I just do not see this going well. I am also at the point of needing a driver due to pain meds, though nothing quite touches the mouth pain. My parents have been great for this.

Lest this be all whine, I love all my nurses and the docs are great when I figure out the right questions to ask. The chemo place is actually pleasant.

Any survival tips? Comfort for the halfway mark? My side effects kicked in very early, and I do know it only gets worse from here.

Needing comfort,
Kristen

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads