Im so sorry that this is more serious than originally suggested. It sounds like the surgery will be a major one with a large area being removed. This will most probably be a long surgery, several hours.

Ask if you will be getting a trach. If so ask specifically for a possey muir valve trach. It will make a big difference! That type makes where you will be able to talk easier if you are able to speak. You may have to go thru some speech therapy if the tongue is worked on. If you are able to have someone stay with you while you are in the hospital that would be a good plan. Im sure you will be sleeping alot and you may need someone to advocate for you, especially if you are not able to talk. You may want to have someone bring you a dry erase board.

I would be surprised if you were in the hospital more than 3 weeks. Since you have not had rads, you should heal much faster than most OC patients in this situation. Hopefully all goes smoothly and you can put this all behind you soon.

Best wishes with everything. Please post when you are able to or have someone let us know how you are making out.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma