Nephew,

I guess bottom line is are they trying to cure him or keep him alive longer?

1. If they are trying to cure him then surgery would probably be first on the table followed by radiation and chemo. If surgery is ruled out then radiation and chemo would be the choice.

2. If they are trying not to save him but prolong his life then either concurrent radiation/chemo or chemo alone.

3. If neither 1 or 2 is decided upon then he should be made as comfortable as possible until the end.

4. Even if 1 or 2 is selected pain management must be pursued.

Again we are not doctors and while most of us have had some of the chemo's you mention we are not in a position to advise which one or which combination would be best suitable for your Uncle's diagnosis.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.