I had osteoporosis prior to my 2005 SCC dx and was on Fosamax for five years from 2002 until 2007. My condition improved to a dx of osteopenia. I discontinued Fosamax after some research into the side effects. At that time I was getting plenty of weight-bearing exercise and calcium through my diet. However, in 2011 I developed osteoradionecrosis in my right mandible. I increased my calcium and vitamin D3 through supplements. Several doctors have told me that Fosamax may have been a factor in developing osteoradionecrosis. The XRT in 2005 was the primary factor in ORN. I do have a family history of osteoporosis. I too have had a number of fillings in the past seven years and use fluoride nightly.

All the best to you in managing after effects of radiation.

Be well. Zenda
12/04 SCC Tonsil, Stage IV T3N2BM0. Mod RND, resect right oropharynx, free-flap, resect right tongue base. Erbitux,Docetaxel,RT X 33. 6/08 Mets lung, hilar lymph node:Carboplatin, Docetaxel. 2010 2nd clinical trial:lung clear, node stable. ORN,trismus,dysphagia. 8-10/2012 cryoablation,brachytherapy,cyberknife to lymph node. 12/12 NED. 6/13 Mets RLL lung: 8/13 cyberknife. 11/13 NED.