Posted By: zengalib Osteoporosis - 07-12-2013 05:14 PM
Hi, everybody,
I recently had a bone density scan, and my primary care physician would like to see me, so I have an appointment next week. I figure that I probably have osteoporosis...not surprising since I am 68 years old. I did some preliminary research and noticed that many of the drugs used to treat this have side effects that include problems with the teeth and jaw. I really don't want to risk that, since the radiation has really done a number on my teeth as it is. Have any of you been diagnosed with this, and if so, how has it been treated? I am hoping that I can get away with increased exercise and more calcium.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Osteoporosis - 07-12-2013 10:35 PM
I haven't really been diagnosed, but did have a back molar that was infected, showed signs of necrosis, that needed to be extracted, and did 30 HBO treatments, 20 before,10 after. They use hyperbaric chamber treatment for osteonecrosis, and hopefully that works, prevents, or delays surgery. Good luck.
Posted By: zengalib Re: Osteoporosis - 07-12-2013 11:44 PM
Actually, I was talking about osteoporosis, not osteonecrosis. About 50% of women over 65 get this. I just don't want to take any meds that make my teeth worse and cause jaw problems, and many of meds to treat it have side effects that can effect the teeth and the jaw.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Osteoporosis - 07-13-2013 12:14 AM
Lol. I thought it was a typo. Anyway, HBOT may be good for that also. Ask your doctor. Good luck.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Osteoporosis - 07-13-2013 12:30 AM
I had a bone density scan a few years ago which showed I had osteopenia (a pre-osteoporosis condition). My doctor warned me not to go on any of the medications for osteoporosis because of the risk of more damage to my jaw and teeth. He recommended calcium, vitamin D, diet and exercise. From what I understand there are different types of calcium � he said to use calcium citrate +D such as Citracal.

A number of my female older relatives have had osteoporosis and I guess I can blame osteopenia on heredity and ORN on the radiation. frown

By the way, I also have issues with my jaw because of the radiation (loose teeth that were removed recently and jaw pain). I�ve had HBO twice because of this.

Good luck! Please let me know what your doctor recommends.

Posted By: zengalib Re: Osteoporosis - 07-13-2013 01:04 AM
Thanks, Susan,
I am hoping that I can get away with taking calcium and exercising. When I researched osteoporosis, the side effects of the meds were really a red flag with me. Paul, that's OK, hopefully extra calcium and exercise will help. My teeth have held up so far, even though I seem to get a lot of fillings, and I haven't lost any. I use the fluoride gel every night, religiously, and I brush my teeth each time I eat or drink something that isn't water.
Posted By: ZendaT Re: Osteoporosis - 07-13-2013 06:47 PM
I had osteoporosis prior to my 2005 SCC dx and was on Fosamax for five years from 2002 until 2007. My condition improved to a dx of osteopenia. I discontinued Fosamax after some research into the side effects. At that time I was getting plenty of weight-bearing exercise and calcium through my diet. However, in 2011 I developed osteoradionecrosis in my right mandible. I increased my calcium and vitamin D3 through supplements. Several doctors have told me that Fosamax may have been a factor in developing osteoradionecrosis. The XRT in 2005 was the primary factor in ORN. I do have a family history of osteoporosis. I too have had a number of fillings in the past seven years and use fluoride nightly.

All the best to you in managing after effects of radiation.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Osteoporosis - 07-13-2013 08:20 PM
Sorry to hear you are having a different type of health issue. Im glad you brought it up on the forum. Many members may not have known to watch closely for side effects like what you mentioned. Anything that has the capability to affect teeth and the jaw need to be avoided for OC survivors. Good eye!!!
Posted By: zengalib Re: Osteoporosis - 07-14-2013 12:00 AM
Thanks, Christine. I didn't think that I had ever seen the subject on the forum. It is a pretty common condition for women my age, but I plan to really emphasize to my doctor that I cannot take the meds that are frequently prescribed for it. My teeth have held up so far, even though I have had a number of cavities, and I don't want to risk damaging them further. I don't know for sure that is what I have, but the fact that the doctor wants to see me after reading the results of my bone density scan, makes me fairly certain that's what it is. Hopefully I will be able to control it with diet and exercise.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Osteoporosis - 07-14-2013 08:19 PM
Great information here. Just goes to show that whatever meds are prescribed for other conditions, if you've had oral cancer, it is a good idea to always check with your oncologist to make sure there are no contraindications to taking them. Several years ago I was diagnosed with osteopenia and my family doctor gave me some free samples of Fosomax to try, but after researching the side effects, I never took them and I've been doing great with exercise, Osteo Bi-Flex and swimming. At a later bone density test, it showed improvement.
Posted By: zengalib Re: Osteoporosis - 07-14-2013 09:10 PM
Just goes to show that we need to pay attention to what we are taking, particularly with the issues that we already have to deal with.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Osteoporosis - 07-14-2013 11:16 PM
Yeah, sure seems like that. I guess once an OC patient, always an OC patient.
Posted By: julieann Re: Osteoporosis - 07-15-2013 12:28 AM
Hi All:

What about Evista? Has anyone ever associated that drug with teeth/jaw problems? Everything I've researched that could cause those problems mentions Fosamax, but not Evista.

Thanks,
Julieann
Posted By: zengalib Re: Osteoporosis - 07-16-2013 11:23 PM
Jiulieann,,
I looked up Evista on WebMD, and didn't see any mention of teeth or jaw problems. The only major serious side effect was in bleeding problems, so that would be something to consider. Hopefully, I can get away with just increasing my calcium and vitamin D intake and exercising more. I really would rather not start taking another prescription drug if at all possible.
Posted By: Kris Re: Osteoporosis - 07-17-2013 03:24 PM
I had the bone density tests after my breast cancer. My oncologist chose not to put me on any of the medications for osteoporosis because of the risk of more damage to my jaw and teeth from first cancer treatment. He too recommended calcium, vitamin D, diet and exercise. Just one more thing we need to be proactive about sharing to others who have traveled our path. Ahhh the joys of life :-)
Posted By: zengalib Re: Osteoporosis - 08-03-2013 02:03 PM
Update on my bone density test. I actually have osteopenia rather than osteoporosis, which isn't as severe. My primary care physician immediately agreed that I was not a candidate for prescription drugs. So I have just upped my calcium and vitamin D. She was very impressed that I did my research before I saw her, so good for me:)!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum