Those that get the Cisplatin every week seem to fair better from it's side effects than those, like me, that got the 3 Big Bag Method. No study has proven his delivery method is less effective so that's a positive.

Each of us can react differently to the Tx and my experience on this site has shown appx 10% breeze thru as if nothing has happened to them; 10% have problems from day 1 and the rest will notice changes quickly but won't start to have problems until appx the 4th week of Tx and it will progressively get worse until 2 to 3 weeks POST Tx with those weeks post Tx by far the worse. Again he could fall anywhere in this range.

Has he been fitted for Fluoride Trays yet?

Have him record his TSH reading in his next blood draw. This number may become important if his thyroid craps out post Tx due to the amount of radiation damage.

Please encourage him to eat like there's no tomorrow, especially his most favorite foods. Most of us quickly lose our taste and that doesn't return 100% and may take up to 2 years to recover what it will recover. I didn't start to regain taste until my 4th month post Tx and really wasn't happy about my taste recovery until my 14th month. I would be prepared to discuss this with him when he starts to feel the decline in his taste.

Please encourage him NOT to use the PEG until it's absolutely necessary. Far too many end up life time dependent on the PEG as their swallowing muscles can quickly lose their memory of their function.

Also try and get him to visit this site. Believe me it can be the best thing outside of Tx. So much of this cancer and it's Tx becomes mental and much of that can be diminished by the knowledge that we collectively bring.

I, like many, would welcome the opportunity to talk to him one on one so if he's open to that PM me and give me his contact numbers. Same of course goes to you.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.