Hi there,
my 65 y/o mom was diagnosed today with SCC... she's been smoking for 40 years, 2 packs a day. This finally scared her enough that she is swearing off cigs. But, she was saying maybe she should get a nicorette gum or something. I was thinking that wasn't a good idea, but wanted to check if anyone knows about that?
Also, my mom was recently told that she had some serious dental problems, needed a deep cleaning and possibly to lose some teeth.
I have done some reading and it looks like all of that needs to be taken care of before any anti-cancer treatment is done. But, what if they can't get the teeth in tip top shape? I hate for the cancer to have more time to root. We are already having to wait a week to see an oncologist due to the stupid referral system.
I am scared. I don't want to freak her out... And I want to be there with her through this. I am just trying to figure out what would be the most helpful to her. Should I plan to bring her meals/protein shakes through her treatment. Should I take time off work to care for her? (My father is no longer with us)...
Thanks for reading... I know I am ranting a bit... still in shock.