Hi, I have sent you a PM.
Do you use a nebulizer at all. I would recommend this to you to help loosen the phlegm and make it easy to cough up.
As we live on a fairly narrow island surrounded by water the humidity is high here which also is very important. I know many larys in the US use a humidifier in the home to maintain humidity around 55%.
Yes, there are occasions when Kris is unable to make any sound. Usually this means that the speaking valve is blocked and needs to be cleaned. We clean the valve twice a day at least to keep it clear.
I think that if you are able to keep your phlegm thinner by using a humidifier and nebulizing saline regularly , you will find that you can cough/clear the secretions yourself and will no longer need to suction them out. It is also very important to drink plenty of fluids each day as this too helps to keep the phlegm/mucous thin.
I hope all this helps and you can soon leave the suction machine at home / leave the house without it
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!